As a mediator, I act as a neutral third party facilitator to assist you and your spouse in addressing and resolving the issues surrounding your separation.
My experience tells me that mediation is often the most appropriate dispute resolution process. The benefits of mediation include:
- The parties, together, come to a resolution on some or all issues. This promotes greater control in decisions that affect your life and the lives of your children.
- It is much less costly than litigation and generally much less costly than solicitor negotiations.
- The parties learn communication skills during mediation that will assist in future communications relating to the children. This helps to reduce conflict which will benefit the children.
- Mediation allows the parties to explore their mutual interests and often develop creative options that meet those interests. Stated differently, mediation allows parties to think and act outside "the box" of legal remedies.
- Research shows that compliance with mediated agreements is higher than with court imposed judgements, resulting in a lower rate of post-divorce litigation.
- Mediation is confidential, allowing you to avoid public disclosure of personal problems.
I am an Accredited Family Mediator (Acc. F.M.) through the Ontario Association for Family Mediation and have practiced Family Mediation for approximately 8 years.
I am also certified with the Canadian Institute for Conflict Resolution where I completed an intensive 160 hour program in alternative dispute resolution.
I have been an active member of OAFM Ottawa for many years, having served on the Board of Directors, including as President and Vice President, for the past 7 consecutive years.